Vacant Dwelling Insurance for All of Texas

Request A Quote

    Vacant Property Insurance Covers
    All Shapes & Sizes

    Homes, rental properties and business buildings can be unoccupied for several reasons. The previous homeowner might have been evicted, for instance, and the property might be sitting empty while it awaits a new buyer or lessee.

    Or maybe a home’s current owner has already bought and moved into a new house, but hasn’t yet sold the old one. Perhaps a business owner has invested in extensive upgrades to her building, requiring it to be unoccupied during the renovations. Maybe a military member stationed overseas owns a home in the US that sits empty most of the year. Or maybe an apartment unit is empty while awaiting a new tenant.


    Standard Home Insurance &
    the Owner Occupied Provision

    Standard home insurance policies are written under the stipulation that the insured property be “owner occupied.” This means the person or at least one of the persons paying the mortgage and the insurance premium must actually live in the building year-round.

    Generally speaking, most homeowners policies will contain certain exclusions that start to apply after a home has been unoccupied more than 30 days. In some cases, a home insurance policy might be completely voided for insufficient owner occupancy.

    Insurance policies for business and rental property typically include provisions requiring some form of occupancy, too. These work similarly to those found in home insurance.

    Vacant Dwelling Insurance: Designed for
    the Unique Risks of Vacant Property

    It’s quite possible that, in an emergency, you could be forced to temporarily suspend operations of your rental property. If that happened, loss of income coverage reimburses the property owner for loss of income during the closure.

    • Trespassing
    • Theft
    • Vandalism
    • Insect Incursion
    • Frozen or busted pipes

    These differing risk levels are why insurance companies have created and issue different policy types for vacant properties and owner occupied buildings.

    Not Carrying Vacant Dwelling Insurance Could Leave Your Wallet Empty

    Some insurance carriers allow homeowners to add a vacant property as an addendum to an existing policy. However, such coverages aren’t standard, and if you own a vacant property, it’s extremely important to carry the proper policy type.

    If you insure a vacant property with standard home or business insurance and file a major claim, it will probably be rejected once the insurance company realizes you’re carrying the wrong coverage. In fact, the entire policy will probably be voided, leaving you on the hook for all the damages to your property.

    For a Free Quote on Vacant Dwelling Insurance, Contact Walzel Insurance Agency Inc.

    If you’re wondering about your options for covering a vacant property, call Walzel Insurance Agency today at 281-422-2027. We'll review your coverage needs and advice you regarding the best, most comprehensive coverage options for the lowest possible price—guaranteed. For a free online vacant dwelling insurance quote, click here.